Dental crown works like a cap which is tooth shaped and is placed over the teeth. It covers the teeth and restores its shape, strength, size and moreover improves ones appearance. Crown is cemented over the gum line and it covers the whole teeth making it completely invisible.
Why do we require dental crowns?
Dental crowns have many uses such as:-
- To safeguard a weak teeth from breaking
- To hold the parts of cracked /chipped tooth
- To support and cover the teeth which has a lot of filling and the teeth is hardly left.
- To keep the dental bridges in place
- To cover discolored/ badly shaped teeth
- To restore a broken tooth/ worn-down tooth
- Crown covers a dental implant
What type of crowns is available?
Crowns are available in different materials such as:-
- METALSIn case of metal crowns less teeth is reduced, and reduction of adjacent teeth is minimum. Such crowns are very strong and do withstand chewing and biting pressure. Metal crowns do not crack or break. Alloy of gold, palladium, nickel are used in case of metal crowns .The only drawback of metal crowns is the color .These crowns are best suited for out of sight teeth / molars.
- FUSION OF PORCELAIN AND METALThese crowns can match the color of the teeth. As compared to metal crowns, more wearing of teeth is required. The porcelain may break /crack. But such crowns look like natural teeth. Sometimes the metal placed under the crown is visible at the gum line, hence these crowns are suitable for back/ front teeth.
- ALL RESINThese crowns are not so expensive but there are chances of wearing down over time.
- ALL PORCELAIN/CERAMICThese crowns are best for the front teeth and suitable for people who are allergic to metal. Though not so strong but matches the color of the natural teeth.
- TEMPORARY AND PERMANENT CROWNSTemporary crowns are made in the dental clinic whereas the permanent crowns are specially made on orders in the laboratory. Material used for temporary crowns is stainless steel or acrylic. Temporary crowns can be used till the time the permanent crown is ready.
How long does the crown last?
Dental crowns have a life of say 5 -15 years .One has to take extra care of the crown .Biting nails, opening packets, chewing hard things etc. are a few habits which have to be corrected .Moreover brushing teeth twice a day is a must and floss at least one time in a day.
What problems can one face with crowns?
- Teeth may be sensitive to hot/cold after the effect of anesthesia is over.
- There can be irregular bites which results in pain.Such problem occur when the crown is placed too low / high.
- Sometimes the cement under the crown gets washed away and the crown becomes loose.
Hence proper care should be taken and regular dental checkups are required to maintain a healthy dental structure.